Manuscripts Burn


MANUSCRIPTS BURN

"Manuscripts don't burn"
- Mikhail Bulgakov

Hi, I'm horror and science fiction author Steve Kozeniewski (pronounced: "causin' ooze key.") Welcome to my blog! You can also find me on Facebook, Twitter, Goodreads, and Amazon. You can e-mail me here, join my mailing list here, or request an e-autograph here. Free on this site you can listen to me recite one of my own short works, "The Thing Under the Bed."

Wednesday, April 1, 2015

"I" is for "Inescapable"


Well, everyone, if you've talked with me in any meaningful way recently you've probably known this was coming for quite a while, but I wanted to make the decision final with this announcement. It's with a fulsome heart that I must face the inescapable truth.  After some heavy soul-searching and long discussions with my family and closest friends, I've decided to give up writing. I'll be pulling all of my books from Amazon and all the other sales venues at midnight tonight.  You have until then to get your last few copies if you so choose.  After that they'll become I suppose you would say "collector's items."

I suppose you're wondering what prompted this.  There's no easy reason why. I could say the deafening silence of agents, critics, and the audience is a sure sign from the universe not to continue. If you're reading this, of course, I can assure you that you were not the problem.  I am eternally grateful to my loyal fans.  It's not because of you that I'm giving up, but it is because of you that I've persevered as long as I have.  I could say the muse has abandoned me, and I haven't gotten any real pleasure from my art in a long time. I could even say that what was supposed to be a fun hobby has gotten in the way of work, family, and the real important things in life.  There's so much that I'm not getting done right now that needs to be done.  I can't get fired from my day job because I'm always off doing interviews or soliciting reviews or writing that next chapter.  I can't let my marriage or friendships fumble out of my hands because I'm so distracted by my writing.  Imaginary characters can never take the place of real people.

The truth is it's quite a number of reasons and yet, at the same time, none at all. There are a million little reasons and yet there's really just one big one: I don't have whatever "it" is that is required to make it in this business.

Some people are great.  I've met some greats even just in my short time in this business.  Those with the chutzpah, the tenacity, the will, and the sheer talent to succeed.  To those of you reading this (and I think you know who you are, but if you don't I'll probably be contacting you directly shortly) thank you for all the inspiration.  I know you'll do well.  And I hate to leave your hallowed ranks but it's something that has to happen now.

So, if you are reading this, and you've read my books or just followed along with me on this crazy career path, I just want to say thanks for all your support over these past few crazy years. I'm sorry I couldn't make a go of it, but sometimes these things happen, and it doesn't for one instant change how deeply each and every one of you fans has touched my heart. Goodbye and good luck, everybody! (Don't worry - the kids still say that.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Enter your e-mail address in the box below and click "Subscribe" to join Stephen Kozeniewski's Mailing List for Fun and Sexy People. (Why the hell would anyone ever want to join a mailing list?)