Manuscripts Burn


MANUSCRIPTS BURN

"Manuscripts don't burn"
- Mikhail Bulgakov

Hi, I'm horror and science fiction author Steve Kozeniewski (pronounced: "causin' ooze key.") Welcome to my blog! You can also find me on Facebook, Twitter, Goodreads, and Amazon. You can e-mail me here, join my mailing list here, or request an e-autograph here. Free on this site you can listen to me recite one of my own short works, "The Thing Under the Bed."

Monday, June 9, 2014

Mailing List

I'm going to level with you.  Not that I don't normally, but sometimes I'm less blunt than this.  Actually, that's probably not true either.  All right, fuck it, I'm just going to say what I was going to say.

So, I hate mailing lists.  Seriously.  Don't send me a newsletter.  I fucking hate newsletters.  If you e-mail me a newsletter I will immediately click "unsubscribe."  Which is annoying, because as far as I know the "unsubscribe" link is just a virus, but that's a discussion for another blogpost.

But anyway long story short because of my personal aversion for mailing lists I have been loath to create one for my fans.  But I have finally done so, and I will tell you why.

First of all, I should preface this by saying that I have heard numerous places in my wanderings that a direct mailing list is THE best method for authors to get info to their fans.  To which I scoffed, because I feel like people prefer social media.  Sure, some people don't do social media, but that never seemed to me like a compelling reason to make a mailing list.  But I kept hearing this axiom enough times that I started to put some stock into it.

Finally, one of my publishers put it into perspective for me.  He said, basically, think about MySpace.  If, in 2006, you had 8 million MySpace followers that was probably a big deal.  It probably meant YOU were a big deal.  Now, if I put information out on MySpace how many of those 8 million followers will see it?  None, most likely.

Point being: e-mail is enduring.  Everyone has an e-mail address and usually it doesn't change (or they get it forwarded) for their whole lives.  Social media is ephemeral.  In fact, Facebook is making changes to their algorithms now such that authors have to pay for their posts to be seen even by their own fans.  Who knows if all the Facebook followers I rack up will even be reachable in a few years?  Or if Facebook will even still exist then?

So, okay, I get it, being able to e-mail people is important.  So I have created a mailing list which I hope you'll join by clicking this link or entering your e-mail in the box below.

And since, as I said before, I DESPISE getting newsletters, here is my solemn vow to you:

I will only e-mail you when I have a new book release.

That's it.  A personal e-mail from me, saying "Hey, I have a new book out, here's the purchase link, hope you check it out."  Not a newsletter every quarter or (God forbid) week.  Not impersonal spam from some 3rd party platform.  An e-mail from my address to yours, BCCed so no one else can see your address, telling you I've got a new book.

And that's it.  That's my feeling on the subject.  So feel free to join, I hope you do, and I promise not to spam you or share your address with third parties.  And thanks for even being my fan.  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Enter your e-mail address in the box below and click "Subscribe" to join Stephen Kozeniewski's Mailing List for Fun and Sexy People. (Why the hell would anyone ever want to join a mailing list?)