Manuscripts Burn


MANUSCRIPTS BURN

"Manuscripts don't burn"
- Mikhail Bulgakov

Hi, I'm horror and science fiction author Steve Kozeniewski (pronounced: "causin' ooze key.") Welcome to my blog! You can also find me on Facebook, Twitter, Goodreads, and Amazon. You can e-mail me here, join my mailing list here, or request an e-autograph here. Free on this site you can listen to me recite one of my own short works, "The Thing Under the Bed."

Monday, November 16, 2009

The Last War: Chapter 74, Part 4

Pierre pounded on the door.

"Come on, de Ris! I know you're in there! I've been waiting for ten minutes! Get your ass out here!"

The doorknob slowly turned. The door gently eased back to reveal Jacques de Ris. He was dishevelled, sweaty, and unkempt. His uniform was hanging at all odd angles. His face and arms were covered with creases as though he had been lying down on a bed for a while. He was shaking with rage.

"Oh, God, de Ris, you were right in the middle of it, weren't you?"

The major slowly nodded his head.

"I'll give you another ten minutes. Extended leave is what this is."

De Ris' face broke into a smile. He closed the door. A short period later he came skipping down the steps whistling a juanty tune.

"Enjoy yourself?" Pierre asked gloomily.

"I enjoyed myself several times," de Ris answered.

The other Frenchman grunted.

"You ought to be shot, so you can't reproduce any further."

"Don't be sore."

"Come on. We've got to get ready for a trip."

"Where?"

"Mongolia."

"Mongolia? Why?"

"The Winter Offensive."

"What's that?"

"I'll tell you along the way."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Enter your e-mail address in the box below and click "Subscribe" to join Stephen Kozeniewski's Mailing List for Fun and Sexy People. (Why the hell would anyone ever want to join a mailing list?)