Manuscripts Burn


MANUSCRIPTS BURN

"Manuscripts don't burn"
- Mikhail Bulgakov

Hi, I'm horror and science fiction author Steve Kozeniewski (pronounced: "causin' ooze key.") Welcome to my blog! You can also find me on Facebook, Twitter, Goodreads, and Amazon. You can e-mail me here, join my mailing list here, or request an e-autograph here. Free on this site you can listen to me recite one of my own short works, "The Thing Under the Bed."

Friday, February 5, 2016

Women in Horror Month #3: Lily Luchesi, Author of the PARANORMAL DETECTIVES Series

For entry three in our Women in Horror Month series, I'm glad to welcome back another familiar face: Lily Luchesi, author of the PARANORMAL DETECTIVES series.

Lily is a regular fixture here and a legend in her own right, so rather than waste too much of your time with a preamble, let's jump right into the introduction and interview.


About Lily Luchesi:



Lily Luchesi is a young author living in Los Angeles, CA. her debut novel, STAKE-OUT (PARANORMAL DETECTIVES Series Book One), was published by Vamptasy Publishing on May 19th, 2015. Book Two, MIRANDA'S RIGHTS, was released on January 8th, 2016.

She has a short story, "Undead Ever After" in the Crushing Hearts and Black Butterfly anthology LOVE SUCKS (released on June 13th, 2015). Her first erotic short story, "Have No Fears", was published in the Hot Ink Press anthology NAUGHTY BEDTIME STORIES: IN THREE WORDS on October 10th. She will also have a short erotic horror story, "The Devil's Dozen", in the upcoming Hot Ink Press anthology DEATH, LOVE, LUST which will be released on February 4th, 2016. ​​ Her short horror story "Too Young To Kill" will be released later this year in the CHBB anthology LURKING IN THE SHADOWS.

You can find Lily on her websiteAmazonTwitterher business Facebookher personal FacebookInstagram, and Goodreads.

INTERVIEW:


SK:  What are your horror bona fides?

LL:  Anything. Anything can be made into something scary. Who would have found those little monkeys with the cymbals to be creepy? I didn't until I read Stephen King's short "The Monkey". Horror should be able to make you uneasy by its tone, the way the author can weave darkness and terror into the mundane. Of course, I love monsters like vampires and demons, but horror doesn't need to use the supernatural so directly. That is how I prefer to write, but that is not the be all end all of the genre.  If you can creep me out using unusual plot devices, you have my admiration as a horror writer.

SK:  Who or what terrifies you?

LL:  Fire absolutely terrifies me, as does drowning and/or asphyxiation of any sort. Don't get me started on spiders! (Or Republicans, but that's a discussion for another time.) I don't scare easily. I think I find the real world, with its disease, uncertainty, financial bankruptcy, and moral bankruptcy more frightening than anything my nightmares can whip up. We live in a world where money is worshiped, the poor or the minority is oppressed, and we have people vying for leadership that might take us to 1940's Germany.

Give me some monsters, a haunted house, or brutal murder any day.


SK:  Are there unique challenges to being a woman in horror or do you feel like gender is irrelevant?

LL:  I think gender is a big deal because we still have to celebrate the fact that there are women in horror. For decades, women have been terrifying readers. From Anne Rice (and yes, some of her work was frightening) to Shirley Jackson, female horror writers have inspired many people, male and female alike. Mary Shelley's FRANKENSTEIN is still used today to highlight classic horror. I could go on, but just allow me to say that I am glad to be a part of the horror genre. I am glad we live in a time when women can write what they want. I have loved horror since I was a child, and I will never let my gender hinder me whatsoever. I think the only challenges women in horror face are ones we make for ourselves, or those which misogynists make for us. They're not real, and they are easily avoidable.

SK:  Who are your favorite female horror icons?

LL:  If you're talking fictional, I love Dolores Claiborne, Rosie McClendon, Annie Wilkes, and Mother Abigail; they are just the tip of the iceberg. Going in a non-literary direction, how can someone not love Elvira, Morticia, or Lily (Munster, I mean, not me)? When it comes to real people, I love Shirley Jackson, but I read more indie published female horror authors than I do mainstream ones.


SK:  What are you working on/promoting currently?  Why should folks check it out?

LL:  I have released my second novel, MIRANDA'S RIGHTS, and it is the second book in the PARANORMAL DETECTIVES series. It follows the story of mortal cop Danny and half-vampire special agent Angelica as they battle demons, witches, and renegade werewolves and keep the city of Chicago safe. It is the continuation of the first book in the series, STAKE-OUT, and you should check it out because it features an original female lead, has a lot of action, and is also a crime drama as well as being paranormal. It will go from serious and procedural to a bloodbath in the space of a few paragraphs, and features a backstory that will (hopefully) make you want to come back for more.

About MIRANDA'S RIGHTS:



The dead don’t always rest easy...

Retired detective Danny Mancini is haunted by nightmares after he found out that paranormal creatures exist. All he wants is to forget them…especially a certain half-vampire. When cursed werewolves show up trying to kill him, he is forced to go back to the Paranormal Investigative Division for help against a powerful old enemy. What he was not expecting was a dead ex showing back up after twenty-six years.

Buy it now on Amazon and add it to your Goodreads!

Cover art by Rue Volley

No comments:

Post a Comment

Enter your e-mail address in the box below and click "Subscribe" to join Stephen Kozeniewski's Mailing List for Fun and Sexy People. (Why the hell would anyone ever want to join a mailing list?)