Manuscripts Burn


MANUSCRIPTS BURN

"Manuscripts don't burn"
- Mikhail Bulgakov

Hi, I'm horror and science fiction author Steve Kozeniewski (pronounced: "causin' ooze key.") Welcome to my blog! You can also find me on Facebook, Twitter, Goodreads, and Amazon. You can e-mail me here, join my mailing list here, or request an e-autograph here. Free on this site you can listen to me recite one of my own short works, "The Thing Under the Bed."

Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Women in Horror Month #10: Kindra Sowder, Founder and CEO of Burning Willow Press



I've been friends with today's guest for a few years.  We were both, urm, let's say...disappointed by the behavior of a small press we had been involved with.  Nobody likes getting burned by a publisher, but I have enjoyed watching her deal with her disappointment. Instead of stewing over it, she forged her own small empire.  Today I'm pleased to introduce to you all the founder of Burning Willow Press.  Let's meet her briefly and then dive into the interview. 

About Kindra Sowder:




Kindra Sowder was born and raised in Rancho Palos Verdes, CA until the age of 12, when her family moved to Spartanburg, SC. She graduated from high school in 2006 with full honors and as a member of her high school Literary Club and the Spanish Honor Society. In January 2014, she graduated with her second degree in Criminal NeuroPsychology. She married her husband Edd Sowder in May 2014 and still lives in Spartanburg, SC where she is basing Burning Willow Press. Her works have earned multiple award nominations.

To keep up with Kindra Sowder: WebsiteFacebookTwitterInstagramLinkedInBlogGoodreads.

Interview:


SK:  What are your horror credentials?

KS:  I’ve been writing for years, mostly fantasy and horror. At this moment in time, I am the founder and CEO of Burning Willow Press, LLC. Home of all stories horror, science fiction, fantasy, and all subgenres therein. Not only that, but I am the author of countless horror novels and short stories.

SK:  Who or what terrifies you?

KS:  There isn’t a lot that terrifies me. I can watch a horror film and never once cringe or look away. But I do have one weakness. Heights. They terrify me. My husband always says that it’s not the height that scares me, it’s the fall. He could be right, but I’m going to keep saying it’s heights.

SK:  Are there unique challenges to being a woman in horror or do you feel like gender is irrelevant?

KS:  I do feel that there are definitely struggles to being a woman in the horror genre. We aren’t taken as seriously as the men in our genre but, if you ask anyone, women write the best horror. We don’t have the same hang-ups mentally and even write the darkest and most loved works of the genre. And, because of our gender, we aren’t treated equally among the men. One day, that will change, and I hope it’s sooner rather than later.

SK:  Who are your favorite female horror icons?

KS:  Anne Rice has been my idol in the horror genre since day one and has inspired so much of my work. Mary Shelley is another. Most recently, Rhiannon Frater and S.C. Parris captured my heart with the amazing worlds they create. I don’t know where I’d be in my career without these amazing ladies as inspiration.

SK:  What are you working on/promoting currently? Why should folks check it out?

KS:  Currently, I am working on the third book of my dystopian fantasy/science fiction series, THE PERMUTATION ARCHIVES as well as some other works. I am writing my horror/science fiction short story for the third installment of BWP’s CROSSROADS IN THE DARK anthology series, MONSTERS UNDER YOUR BED.  Another MISS HYDE novella is also in progress, which is a mixture of erotica and horror. I believe, and have been told, that I bring some very unique aspects to the genres I choose to pursue that everyone should check out any of my works. One shining example of this is the MISS HYDE novellas, where I take the story of DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE and turn it on its head.


About THE HARVESTED:


30345530

There are only a few things Mila is afraid of. Most are pretty common fears, but there is one that sets her apart from those around her. The fear of a secret. With one drop of blood, her secret of a power beyond anything anyone had ever seen before is unleashed, landing her in a place where she is a prisoner. And an experiment. And there are only a few that know their dictator’s ultimate goal. Some are willing to save her, others want to exploit her for their own dark and sinister intentions, and it is up to her to stop them before it’s too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Enter your e-mail address in the box below and click "Subscribe" to join Stephen Kozeniewski's Mailing List for Fun and Sexy People. (Why the hell would anyone ever want to join a mailing list?)