Manuscripts Burn


MANUSCRIPTS BURN

"Manuscripts don't burn"
- Mikhail Bulgakov

Hi, I'm horror and science fiction author Steve Kozeniewski (pronounced: "causin' ooze key.") Welcome to my blog! You can also find me on Facebook, Twitter, Goodreads, and Amazon. You can e-mail me here, join my mailing list here, or request an e-autograph here. Free on this site you can listen to me recite one of my own short works, "The Thing Under the Bed."

Monday, February 11, 2019

Women in Horror Month #5: Catherine Cavendish, Author of THE HAUNTING OF HENDERSON CLOSE


Hey, everyone!  Thanks for stopping by!  Today we've got a real treat for you.  But rather than listen to any more preamble from me, let's meet today's guest and then jump right into the interview.


About Catherine Cavendish:



Hello, my name's Catherine Cavendish and I write horror fiction - frequently with ghostly, supernatural, Gothic and haunted house themes.

Out now- from Kensington-Lyrical - the third in a trilogy - DAMNED BY THE ANCIENTS - set in Egypt and Vienna and featuring the sinister Dr. Emeryk Quintillus whose obsession has stayed with him past the grave. This completes the NEMESIS OF THE GODS trilogy which started with WRATH OF THE ANCIENTS, followed by WAKING THE ANCIENTS.

My novellas COLD REVENGE, MISS ABIGAIL'S ROOM, THE DEMONS OF CAMBIAN STREET, THE DEVIL INSIDE HER and THE SECOND WIFE have now been released in new editions by Crossroad Press.

My novels THE DEVIL'S SERENADE and SAVING GRACE DEVINE have also been released in new editions by Crossroad Press, as have my novel of the Lancashire Witches - THE PENDLE CURSE - and my novellas, LINDEN MANOR and DARK AVENGING ANGEL.

I live with a long-suffering husband and a delightful black cat who has never forgotten that her species used to be worshipped in ancient Egypt. She sees no reason why that practice should not continue.

Our home is in a rambling building dating back to the mid 18th century, haunted by a friendly ghost, who announces her presence by footsteps, switching lights on and strange phenomena involving the washing machine and the TV.

When not slaving over a hot computer, I enjoy wandering around Neolithic stone circles and visiting old haunted houses.

I love connecting with readers and you can find me on social media here: Catherine Cavendish, Facebook, Twitter, Goodreads, MeWe.

Interview:


SK: How are you involved in the world of horror?

CC:  I write ghostly, Gothic, supernatural haunted house scary horror stories


SK: Who or what terrifies you?

CC:  I think fearing the unknown is quite common and I certainly do. Strangely enough, I can lie awake terrified about what might happen in some day to day situation, but when a big challenge comes along – such as my recent bout with cancer – I meet it head on.

As far as the world of horror fiction is concerned, it’s what lurks in the shadows, glimpsed out of the corner of your eye. It scares the living daylights out of me – which is why I love writing about it so much!


SK: Are there unique challenges to being a woman in horror or do you feel like gender is irrelevant?

CC:  I have never really regarded myself as a female horror author – but as a horror author regardless of gender. I think in the world of literature generally there has been an historic bias against women writers which has even led many to use initials to disguise their gender. I would like to think the old attitudes are dying out and I think there is some evidence of that. I have been fortunate enough not to have experienced any overt bias against me because of my gender although I do find it amusing when people I meet (who find out I am an author) immediately assume I either write children’s stories or cozy romances. When I tell them I write horror they initially think I’m joking. I would guess a man wouldn’t face that reaction but I don’t lose any sleep over it.


SK: Who are your favorite female horror icons?

CC:  Vera Farmiga for her work in the "Conjuring" series and "Bates Motel." Carolyn Jones who I loved in "The Addams Family." Shauna MacDonald who is great in everything she appears in – loved her in "The Descent" and in "Nails" to name but two, and, of course, the incomparable Kathy Bates – "American Horror Story," "Misery" – she never puts a foot wrong in my book. I am also going to add Shirley Jackson – a unique talent in the art of writing scary horror.


SK: What are you working on/promoting currently? Why should folks check it out?

CC:  My latest novel – THE HAUNTING OF HENDERSON CLOSE – has just been published by Flame Tree Press and I am so lucky to have received some fabulous reviews. Here’s a taste of what to expect:


About THE HAUNTING OF HENDERSON CLOSE:



Ghosts have always walked there. Now they're not alone.

In the depths of Edinburgh, an evil presence is released.

Hannah and her colleagues are tour guides who lead their visitors along the spooky, derelict Henderson Close, thrilling them with tales of spectres and murder. For Hannah it is her dream job, but not for long. Who is the mysterious figure that disappears around a corner? What is happening in the old print shop? And who is the little girl with no face?

The legends of Henderson Close are becoming all too real. The Auld De'il is out - and even the spirits are afraid.

You can find THE HAUNTING OF HENDERSON CLOSE at these online sites:

Amazon
Barnes and Noble
Flame Tree Press

Or order it from your local friendly bookstore.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for hosting me today, Stephen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful interview Cat and may I say I am fair loving Henderson's Close.

    ReplyDelete

Enter your e-mail address in the box below and click "Subscribe" to join Stephen Kozeniewski's Mailing List for Fun and Sexy People. (Why the hell would anyone ever want to join a mailing list?)