Manuscripts Burn


MANUSCRIPTS BURN

"Manuscripts don't burn"
- Mikhail Bulgakov

Hi, I'm horror and science fiction author Steve Kozeniewski (pronounced: "causin' ooze key.") Welcome to my blog! You can also find me on Facebook, Twitter, Goodreads, and Amazon. You can e-mail me here, join my mailing list here, or request an e-autograph here. Free on this site you can listen to me recite one of my own short works, "The Thing Under the Bed."

Monday, February 3, 2020

Women in Horror Month #1: Melissa Hayward


Hey, everybody!  Welcome to Women in Horror Month 2020.  To kick things off I thought I'd invite one of the most fun people in the genre, who makes Scares That Care a blast every year and even inspired a character in C.V Hunt's COCKBLOCK.  Let's briefly meet our guest and then jump right in to the interview.

About Melissa Hayward:


Image may contain: 1 person, closeup

Melissa Hayward runs the Dublin Fright Club.  You can follow her on Facebook and Instagram.

Interview:


SK: How are you involved in the world of horror?

MH:  I've run Dublin's horror book club Fright Club for over 5 years so I guess I fit nicely in the "horror fan" category. Our club meets once a month to discuss the book we've been reading and we also go on regular adventures like ghost hunting excursions, weekends away in haunted houses and play lots of board games and arrange Q&A's with authors. 


SK: Who or what terrifies you?

MH:  Sharks! I'm absolutely terrified of sharks and large underwater things in general. It's so bad I won't go in a swimming pool or have a bath.

One of my favourite genres of film is "terrifying underwater threat"


SK: Are there unique challenges to being a woman in horror or do you feel like gender is irrelevant?

MH:  Na, I think horror is going through a bit of a renaissance at the moment and gender is irrelevant. My own book club is 50/50 male/female, women have just as much screen time as men in in modern horror films and I know so many great women working in film and writing horror. The horror community are the most open and welcoming people.


SK: Who are your favorite female horror icons?

MH:  C.V Hunt is one of my favourite authors, I adore her books.  
Sarah Pinborough is wonderful, her novel BEHIND HER EYES traumatised me for weeks after I finished reading it.

Charlotte Perkins Gilman was a badass and "The Yellow Wallpaper" is a beautiful story.

I of course want to be Lily Munster when I grow up 


SK: What are you working on/promoting currently? Why should folks check it out?

MH:  My boyfriend and I have been making coffin shaped home accessories like spice racks, chopping boards and bath boards. Everything is made from wood reclaimed from reportedly haunted spots all over Ireland, our current rage includes items made from wood from a 100 year old haunted barn. If folks are interested in creepy home accessories they can check us out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Enter your e-mail address in the box below and click "Subscribe" to join Stephen Kozeniewski's Mailing List for Fun and Sexy People. (Why the hell would anyone ever want to join a mailing list?)