Manuscripts Burn


MANUSCRIPTS BURN

"Manuscripts don't burn"
- Mikhail Bulgakov

Hi, I'm horror and science fiction author Steve Kozeniewski (pronounced: "causin' ooze key.") Welcome to my blog! You can also find me on Facebook, Twitter, Goodreads, and Amazon. You can e-mail me here, join my mailing list here, or request an e-autograph here. Free on this site you can listen to me recite one of my own short works, "The Thing Under the Bed."

Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Women in Horror Month #2: Mar Garcia


Hey, everybody!  I'm very pleased to welcome today's guest, one of the best promoters in indie horror today.  Let's meet her briefly and then jump right into the interview.

About Mar Garcia:



Mar Garcia is an online marketer with the main focus on the horror community. She is a personal promoter for presses, indie authors, other websites, indie films and magazines.  You can follow her on her websiteher book promotion siteher thriller affiliate, and her fantasy affiliate.  Her social media includes the Disturbing Drawings FacebookTwitterInstagram, and Facebook.

Interview:


SK: How are you involved in the world of horror?

MG:  That question has a difficult answer... Actually, when I started in this world I worked with any genre. I happened to meet a few horror authors by coincidence, and as this is a small community, one thing led to another and when I realised 80% of my work was horror I thought it was better to focus on one genre so I would be more efficient in my work. And well, here we are!

SK: Who or what terrifies you?

MG:  Actually, nothing. I can't think of anything, which is a bit disturbing. It's very difficult for me to get disturbed by a horror book or movie, so when I review a book I need to think how would the average reader feels with it. A friend of mine used to tell me that my mind is madder than any horror author's LOL.

If I had to say something, I'd say that something would happen to my kid. But that's a parent's general fear I'm afraid.



SK: Are there unique challenges to being a woman in horror or do you feel like gender is irrelevant?

MG:  I think there are unique challenges in being a woman, in general. Some kind of men (which sadly, are a lot) undervalue you as a professional just because you're a woman, and reach out like they're making you a favour for giving you work LOL. They talk to you like a child.

Also, they disrespect you reaching out flagrantly flirting with you. "Hey, gorgeous, I got a new book," "Hi, beautiful, I need some promo...," etc.

If I was a man, they would never reach out like that.

I never work with disrespectful people. My father used to say, "We're poor, but not miserable."

Being a woman is a constant dealing with men treating you like you are four years old and can't stand by yourself.

But I also know and work with lots of men who are perfect gentlemen. These could teach a couple of things to those.

SK: Who are your favorite female horror icons?

There are already thousands worshiping famous authors, so I'll stick to the indie world:

Theresa Jacobs. She's incredibly disturbing and her imagination goes beyond measure. She can make the little concept of a "cat" steal your sleep for weeks.

And then, of course, my deeply beloved Dona Fox. She writes pure madness. The mind of a psychotic soul poured on your hands. She has plenty of short stories and audiobooks. She's just amazing.

I highly recommend checking them out.

SK: What are you working on/promoting currently?

MG: That's difficult to summarise. I work for four publishers and some authors. I also feature magazines, indie films and podcasts. I adapt to what each of them needs.



SK: Why should folks check it out?

MG:  Why? Well... if they need to get their word out there, let's talk!

If they are vloggers, reviewers, columnists, etc, they are always more than welcome to write on the website and join the team.

Also, I usually open projects for free promotion. As often as I can.

I always exchange a few emails with those interested in my work to know them a bit deeper and be able to attend them properly and set the specific goals for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Enter your e-mail address in the box below and click "Subscribe" to join Stephen Kozeniewski's Mailing List for Fun and Sexy People. (Why the hell would anyone ever want to join a mailing list?)