Manuscripts Burn


MANUSCRIPTS BURN

"Manuscripts don't burn"
- Mikhail Bulgakov

Hi, I'm horror and science fiction author Steve Kozeniewski (pronounced: "causin' ooze key.") Welcome to my blog! You can also find me on Facebook, Twitter, Goodreads, and Amazon. You can e-mail me here, join my mailing list here, or request an e-autograph here. Free on this site you can listen to me recite one of my own short works, "The Thing Under the Bed."

Friday, July 18, 2014

I Wrote One Million Words. Where's My Ticker Tape Parade?

According to Malcolm Gladwell practicing anything for 10,000 hours will make you a master.  (Though lots of people agree that's bullshit.)  For writers, the goal is a little bit different.  According to Ray Bradbury, once you hit a million words, you're a master.  (Though lots of people agree that's bullshit, too.)

I agree with the dissenters that assigning an arbitrary number of hours to mastery is probably pointless.  Christ, Mozart died at 35.  He didn't do no damn 10,000 hours of practice.  Nevertheless, a million words is the agreed upon (arbitrary or not) level of mastery for my craft, and I'm happy to announce to anyone who even slightly gives a shit that I've reached that goal.

I try not to talk about the craft of writing too much on this blog (because it's BORING) but I do like to share my successes and some people are interested in this sort of thing, so here you go.  In this non-scientific analysis I'm counting just work on novels that exceeded 10,000 words.  So, I've disregarded all of my screenplays, short stories, games, and anything that was basically me writing a chapter and getting bored.  If anyone's really interested in a breakdown of every word I've ever written, I'll get back to you on that at a later date when I can hire a team of analysts to work around the clock.

I've also broken this list down by categories which are mostly self-explanatory.  However, if you don't know, "trunked" is a reference to old-timey days when an author would stick a mansucript that no publisher would buy into a trunk at the foot of the bed.  I have put some of my trunked manuscripts up right here on this blog (I call it "burning" them.)  Hence the title of this blog.  And now you know!

TitleLast EditedWordcount
Published
BRAINEATER JONESJul-1370000
GORE & PEACE I: THE GHOUL ARCHIPELAGOOct-13118000
BILLY AND THE CLONEASAURUSJun-1450000
Complete, to be published
THE HYENA SERIES I: BLACK SUN, BLOOD MOONJul-14103000
BROKEN-DOWN HEROES OF THE WESTERN NIGHTJan-1460000
THE TWO AMERICAS I: EVERY KINGDOM DIVIDEDNov-1289000
Incomplete, to be published
MODERN BLOOD I: HUNTER OF THE DEADJul-1423000
KINGDOMNov-1338000
GORE & PEACE II: NOTES FROM THE UNDEADNov-1250000
Complete, trunked
LIFE AND DEATHMay-11140000
GRAVEYARD FLOWERJan-1078000
THE LAST WARNov-09111000
HELL AND BLOODMay-0932000
ETERNITY BURNINGFeb-0739000
Incomplete, trunked
THE IRON CROWNSep-0745000
LOVE AND HATEDec-0627000
1073000

No comments:

Post a Comment

Enter your e-mail address in the box below and click "Subscribe" to join Stephen Kozeniewski's Mailing List for Fun and Sexy People. (Why the hell would anyone ever want to join a mailing list?)