Manuscripts Burn


MANUSCRIPTS BURN

"Manuscripts don't burn"
- Mikhail Bulgakov

Hi, I'm horror and science fiction author Steve Kozeniewski (pronounced: "causin' ooze key.") Welcome to my blog! You can also find me on Facebook, Twitter, Goodreads, and Amazon. You can e-mail me here, join my mailing list here, or request an e-autograph here. Free on this site you can listen to me recite one of my own short works, "The Thing Under the Bed."

Friday, March 5, 2010

Gilbey's

So I gave a small, approving grunt upon noticing a bottle of gin for $8.99 on the top shelf at the liquor store. (Yes, I've been relegated to the liquore store like every other schmoe, since Ft. Benning saw the need to take my military ID away and deny me my Class 6 entry.) Something didn't add up, though, because even the smaller bottles on the lower shelves cost more.

Now, admittedly, I had a bottle of Old Crow in my other hand, but when it comes to gin, I usually don't like to skimp. Bombay Sapphire is usually what I get; gin is kind of a treat. But I've got a few ounces of Vermouth in the liquor cabinet and nothing much to do with it (and olives and toothpicks, too.) So I ended up tentatively taking the bottle of Gilbey's.

Apparently the liquor store clerk saw me musing for a while and asked if I needed help.

I said, "Is this good gin?"

"Well, it's not terrible gin," she said.

"Why is it on the top shelf?" I asked.

She looked at it, then looked at the Old Crow in my other hand. Then she got that look in her face. Okay, shut up, I love my blue collar bourbon, I get it, it's not "cool," whatever.

"Well, it's not top shelf, it's just on the top shelf."

What?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Enter your e-mail address in the box below and click "Subscribe" to join Stephen Kozeniewski's Mailing List for Fun and Sexy People. (Why the hell would anyone ever want to join a mailing list?)