Manuscripts Burn


MANUSCRIPTS BURN

"Manuscripts don't burn"
- Mikhail Bulgakov

Hi, I'm horror and science fiction author Steve Kozeniewski (pronounced: "causin' ooze key.") Welcome to my blog! You can also find me on Facebook, Twitter, Goodreads, and Amazon. You can e-mail me here, join my mailing list here, or request an e-autograph here. Free on this site you can listen to me recite one of my own short works, "The Thing Under the Bed."

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The Neighbors Are Zombies 10

INT. WILLBERRY POLICE STATION - BEFORE DAWN
(JESSE, RED, BO)

RED IS SITTING AT HIS DESK, DRINKING FROM A FULL COFFEE POT. SUDDENLY JESSE BURSTS THROUGH THE DOOR, BREATHING HARD BECAUSE HE RAN THE WHOLE WAY HERE. STARTLED, RED SPILLS THE ENTIRE POT ONTO HIS CROTCH.

RED
(quivering with pain, but refusing to show it)

YES! I love it.

JESSE

Detective Bullet! Detective Bullet!

RED

I know you. You're the Fulton boy. You never get in any trouble at all. If you ask me there's nothing more suspicious than a boy who never commits any crimes.

JESSE

Detective, my neighbors are zombies, I mean the walking dead, the dead dead.

RED LOOKS UP, INTERESTED. HE LOOKS OVER AT BO, WHO IS LANGUISHING IN A CELL. BO SITS UP AND TAKES NOTICE TOO.

RED

That's the second time I've heard this story today. There's nothing more untrustworthy than corroborating evidence.

JESSE

Detective, I swear it's true. I saw my neighbor take off her own head and put it on the counter and it screamed.

BO

I told you. I told you. It is my creation. You have my magic powder. It raises the dead.

RED PICKS UP THE BAGGIE OF POWDER ON HIS DESK.

RED

This? Let's see if it works.

RED SLAMS HIS HAND DOWN ON A SPIDER ON THE DESK. HE SPRINKLES SOME OF THE POWDER ON THE DEAD SPIDER. THE THREE ALL LOOK EXPECTANTLY. SUDDENLY, CREEPILY, THE SPIDER STAGGERS TO IT'S FEET AND CRAWLS OFF THE DESK.

RED

Well I'll be a son of a piƱata. All right, son, you'd better get back to your house and barricade the doors like it's Y2K all over again only this time...in reverse.

JESSE

What are you going to do?

RED

What I do best. Investigate. And you're coming with me.

RED POINTS AT BO. BO SMILES.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Enter your e-mail address in the box below and click "Subscribe" to join Stephen Kozeniewski's Mailing List for Fun and Sexy People. (Why the hell would anyone ever want to join a mailing list?)