Manuscripts Burn


MANUSCRIPTS BURN

"Manuscripts don't burn"
- Mikhail Bulgakov

Hi, I'm horror and science fiction author Steve Kozeniewski (pronounced: "causin' ooze key.") Welcome to my blog! You can also find me on Facebook, Twitter, Goodreads, and Amazon. You can e-mail me here, join my mailing list here, or request an e-autograph here. Free on this site you can listen to me recite one of my own short works, "The Thing Under the Bed."

Monday, April 19, 2010

The Neighbors Are Zombies 9

INT. JESSE'S ROOM - BEFORE DAWN
(JESSE, GREG)

JESSE IS STILL SHAKING. SUDDENLY, GREG BEGINS KNOCKING ON THE DOOR. JESSE LEAPS TO HIS FEET.

JESSE

Go away you undead freak!

GREG (O.S.)

What did you call me, young man?

JESSE

Dad!

JESSE GOES TO THE DOOR AND STARTS TEARING DOWN HIS FURNITURE BARRICADE SO THAT HIS DAD CAN GET IN. GREG IS AMAZED BY THE STATE OF THE ROOM.

GREG

What's going on here? What happened to our hunting trip?

JESSE

Dad! You have to listen to me! The neighbors...the neighbors are zombies.

GREG

Yes, Ed and Anne Zombie. They called to RSVP for the barbecues.

JESSE

No, dad, I mean they're REALLY zombies. As in...

JESSE STICKS HIS ARMS OUT AND LURCHES AROUND. GREG SIGHS.

GREG

Boy, if you don't want to go look for the lawnmower, that's fine, but I told you before you're paying for it.

JESSE

No, dad, I swear, I'll show you.

JESSE RUNS OVER AND PULLS THE BLINDS. HE POINTS ACROSS THE WAY AT THE BATHROOM WINDOW. OF COURSE, THE ROOM IS EMPTY AND THE SHADES ARE DRAWN.

JESSE

I was...she was just there. The daughter, Mary, the pretty one, she was showering and...

GREG

Jesse! You were peeping on a girl. That's horrible.

JESSE

But no, she took off her head so she wouldn't get her hair wet and...

GREG

Enough. I'm going to call Mr. and Mrs. Zombie and tell them what you've done.

JESSE

No, Dad, you can't, they'll try to eat my brains!

GREG

And I will beg them to still come to the barbecue - assuming they're not MORTIFIED by your behavior - and before they come you will apologize to that girl and the whole family. Until then, I want you to think about what you've done.

GREG LEAVES AND CLOSES THE DOOR AFTER HIM.

GREG (O.S)

Hello, Anne? This is Greg Fulton next door. Yes, I'm sorry to call at this hour, but I wanted to apologize in advance for my son...

JESSE
(freaking out)

Oh no! They'll kill me to protect their secret. I've got to tell someone. The police!

JESSE SCRAMBLES OUT HIS WINDOW AND CLIMBS DOWN THE TRELLACE.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Enter your e-mail address in the box below and click "Subscribe" to join Stephen Kozeniewski's Mailing List for Fun and Sexy People. (Why the hell would anyone ever want to join a mailing list?)