Manuscripts Burn


MANUSCRIPTS BURN

"Manuscripts don't burn"
- Mikhail Bulgakov

Hi, I'm horror and science fiction author Steve Kozeniewski (pronounced: "causin' ooze key.") Welcome to my blog! You can also find me on Facebook, Twitter, Goodreads, and Amazon. You can e-mail me here, join my mailing list here, or request an e-autograph here. Free on this site you can listen to me recite one of my own short works, "The Thing Under the Bed."

Friday, November 15, 2019

How to Not Suck at Promoting

I've been a writer for many years, and I've got a little experience under my belt, but I've learned a few more things about the trade since working for Stephen. There is a lot of time-consuming, mind-numbing work involved with promoting yourself as an author, but if it's done right, the benefits are worth the hassle. Here are a few nuggets of wisdom I've accumulated over the last few months:


1.) Reviewers are finicky creatures! 

Most of my time is spent searching through list of potential reviewers for Stephen's work. Aside from some of the odd or particular requirements some have for even contacting them, a lot of them have a hefty list of 'yes' and 'no' requirements for any book they are sent. A few reviewers who have themselves listed as Horror reviewers will also reject certain genres of horror, like Splatterpunk. You have to read a lot of fine print and do a lot of overhauling on your general request letter to get their attention. Treat each reviewer like they're the only one. 


2.) Social Media is exhausting, yet crucial. 

Since I've now been given the keys to the city -- Stephen's social media page, I've realized there is a lot to keep up on. To keep people following you and gain more visitors, you have to keep it interesting. On Stephen's page we do random questions to engage the followers, and we share every instance of his existence online in the form of blogs, interviews, etc., so people know he still exists and is still releasing stuff. 


3.) Fucking Blogs! 

Oh man, that is the hardest part for me. As a writer myself, I should have no problem busting out blogs, but I do. After a while, I have a hard time coming up with subject material. This is where Stephen shines. He's able to consistently keep his blog running by sharing videos, articles, and interviews, as well as his own meandering thoughts on subjects. I have found that writers who maintain blogs in between their publishing projects can keep their audience interested longer.


4.) Public events are great even if you don't make money.

Every creator should be booking and attending as many events as possible. Whether it's a small book store signing, or a huge comic con, you should be trying to get out among the human beings whenever possible. Even if you don't make back your table fees, the connections you make with potential fans and networking with other creators can be extremely rewarding. I have countless new friends and have found out about tons of new venues over the years because I get out there as much as my schedule and wallet allow me.


5.) Write for yourself and be your own biggest fan.

This is the big one. I've always lived by the policy that if I write what I want to read, others are bound to want to read it to. You need to be your own biggest fan (and critic!) in order for anyone else to believe in you. Remember, even if you don't ever make it big, as long as one person is reading your work, you are legit. That one person can be you.



Do you have anything to add? Comment below!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Enter your e-mail address in the box below and click "Subscribe" to join Stephen Kozeniewski's Mailing List for Fun and Sexy People. (Why the hell would anyone ever want to join a mailing list?)