Manuscripts Burn


MANUSCRIPTS BURN

"Manuscripts don't burn"
- Mikhail Bulgakov

Hi, I'm horror and science fiction author Steve Kozeniewski (pronounced: "causin' ooze key.") Welcome to my blog! You can also find me on Facebook, Twitter, Goodreads, and Amazon. You can e-mail me here, join my mailing list here, or request an e-autograph here. Free on this site you can listen to me recite one of my own short works, "The Thing Under the Bed."

Monday, August 17, 2020

A Personal Favor

Hey, everybody!

I'm a little embarrassed to be writing this blogpost, but I like to think that what people like about me (if you like anything) is that I try to be up front and as transparent as possible. Hell, I have an entire series of articles on here called "Making the Sausage." Even when I'm faking it to make it...I'll usually straight up tell you I'm faking it to make it.

So, here's the deal. THE PERFECTLY FINE HOUSE got a little bit fucked. That's just the long and short of it. Wile E. and I worked for years on this baby, Grindhouse Press put months and countless dollars into advertising and producing it, and by the time all was said and done, it dropped on March 16, 2020.

Now, if that date sounds familiar, it's because that was the same week the pandemic emergency was declared in the U.S. I'm not going to lie: I put out a few tweets, but I really wasn't focused on marketing PFH that week, or, really, in the months since. So, PFH got a little bit fucked.

Grindhouse's business strategy is to attend a ton of conventions, and move a ton of paperbacks at those conventions. It's been a great strategy...up until this year. Some small presses focus on e-books, some try land a big fish to help the little fish, some spend thousands on marketing...anyway, the point is, Grindhouse is a great press, which is extremely good to their authors, financially and otherwise, and it just so happens that their marketing strategy suddenly became untenable. So, PFH got a little bit fucked.

Wile E., as it happens, has a customer-facing day job, one that did not go away due to the pandemic, but one that got much harder as a consequence. At the end of his 12- and 16- hour shifts, he's been lucky to get home and see his family and get some ZZZs before doing it all again. So, PFH got a little bit fucked.

And I'm not quite as overwhelmed at the day job, but I did just start a new job...and I'm carrying my old job...and one of my old direct reports retired...so I've been doing three people's jobs since April. And trying to figure out how to do that all remotely. And at the end of the day, marketing books has not been at the top of my frazzled mind. So, PFH got a little bit fucked.

We are lagging terribly on reviews. I haven't been able to reach out to reviewers and bloggers, neither has Wile E., neither has Grindhouse. I'm going to start. I'm going to try. But I also recently lost my personal assistant, and she was a godsend with doing this work last year. While I had Jess, I could write every time I sat down. Now, every spare minute I get I have to choose between writing and marketing and review querying and soliciting agents and seeking out foreign publishers, and all the other time-consuming shit that goes into being an indie author. So, PFH got a little bit fucked.

Like I said in the beginning, this is an embarrassing post to write. It's embarrassing because I want to appear in public as the guy who's always got his shit together. And it's embarrassing because some of you reading this are out of work and don't know what to do with your kids, and have a million other issues on your mind, and my book's marketing woes probably seem like more than just First World Problems, they probably seem like Top 1% First World Problems or some shit. But, as I said, I try to shoot straight, and there's the straight truth.

So, what I would really like to ask is, if you've read THE PERFECTLY FINE HOUSE, could you please take two minutes and leave a review?

A five word review is fine. Any star rating is fine. I'll take "I think this book sucked" and one star over no review any day, trust me. I've written and spoken many times about the importance of honest reviews over exaggerated positive reviews. Anyway, if you can help me out with this, I would consider it a personal favor, which you can call in, Godfather-like, sometime in the future. Thanks, everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Enter your e-mail address in the box below and click "Subscribe" to join Stephen Kozeniewski's Mailing List for Fun and Sexy People. (Why the hell would anyone ever want to join a mailing list?)