Manuscripts Burn


MANUSCRIPTS BURN

"Manuscripts don't burn"
- Mikhail Bulgakov

Hi, I'm horror and science fiction author Steve Kozeniewski (pronounced: "causin' ooze key.") Welcome to my blog! You can also find me on Facebook, Twitter, Goodreads, and Amazon. You can e-mail me here, join my mailing list here, or request an e-autograph here. Free on this site you can listen to me recite one of my own short works, "The Thing Under the Bed."

Monday, January 19, 2009

Eternity Burning: Chapter 2, Part 4

"Wake up, Halov."

Victory murmured a low humming noise. He rolled over and forcibly pried his eyes open in order to view the clock on the guest room bedstand. As he focused his eyes and converted analog to digital in his mind, he wondered briefly if he'd slept until Monday evening. Then he realized it was not evening, but an ungodly hour of the morning.

"Four thirty?" Victory murmured.

"Well, I let you sleep in a bit because you're a guest," Dan said, "Come on, time for you to earn your keep."

Victory burbled something that sounded like a question mark.

"Listen, Halov," Dan said in a confidential and malicious tone of voice, "I want to make sure of a few things. If you should ever get around to suggesting marriage, you're going to have to provide for my daughter. I want to be certain that you're a hard worker. I want to be sure that you have decent traditional values. If I'm not satisfied with you by the end of this visit, I'm going to end your relationship with my daughter."

Victory wasn't sure what that meant, but he knew it was direly serious. If it involved Dan making Dina choose between him and her family, he wasn't certain that he would be chosen. Victory became resolute. He'd play the game, and do whatever he had to in order to stay with Dina.

"What do I have to do?" Victory asked.

"Work like a dog," Dan replied simply.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Enter your e-mail address in the box below and click "Subscribe" to join Stephen Kozeniewski's Mailing List for Fun and Sexy People. (Why the hell would anyone ever want to join a mailing list?)